Sunday, July 17, 2011

Blog Post # 7: Reflection



The first thing that comes to mind when I think back on the different assignments we’ve had that taught me something, the poetry of witness pops out at me. I didn’t even know that was a “type” of poetry let alone what it was about and how to write a poem that would fit that category. I have re-learned how to write analytical essays and how to use the popular MLA format. I learned these skills in a past English class but because of time that was between that class and this one, I was a little rusty. Also going over the grammar, commas, Apostrophe and Run-on sentences was a great refresher for me. The way I will apply these different skills that I have learned in this class would be to produce better essays and papers for future classes and other time it will be required. Every time that I write an essay or do a research paper I can use these skills to get the grade I should with the hard work I put into the papers. Another thing I learned from this class was how to set up and maintain a blog.
The readings that we have with this class have affected me by teaching me more about The Vietnam war through my research for the third essay. Also Tim O Brien’s story is actually really good.  
I know that right off the bat I have met # 7: Identify and evaluate multiple meanings and perspectives in language. This is how we have been doing both essay 2 and 3. As well as the blogs you have had us do every week. #8 objective we again accomplished by having to research information for our essays and blog post. # 10 objective would go with # 7 objective same with #11 objective. The other entire objective has been met by the writing of our essays and blogs. We either had to do research, then analyze the data to see if it would be feasible to use then we had to organize the information and use basic English grammar and sentence structure to complete the assignments.
I know that my writing is not as good as it should be fore the level of education and age that I am at. I have always had problems with English in school and my writing has shown that. I know that with the reminders of how to write an essay and then teaching us how to write an analytical essay has greatly changed my writing for the better. Also the MLA format that you went over again in this class will help keep me from issues of plagiarism in the future. I have always had issues as well with the citations and how to put together a work cite page and the information that goes into that page.
            I think the greatest challenge would be the writing of the essays. Normally I can write page after page about a subject that I choose but having a topic chosen for me makes it a lot hard for me. I then have to go and find information that is not only correct but will support my thesis statement. I also noticed that when I have to write about someone else’s chosen topic I have issue with the structure of the essay and the citations that I have to use. I was able to overcome this challenge by doing the research and following what you taught us and wrote the essays.


                                                         Denise
                                

1 comment:

  1. You have written your post quite well! I too benefited from reviewing things such as MLA formatting and how to properly use commas and apostrophes and such. These things seem so simple, and yet I found myself misusing them, so review was very useful. I also liked using a blog rather than the typical discussion board. Your blog is very nice-I like how you designed it. It is great that you have received so much from this class. I have as well.

    ReplyDelete