Thursday, June 9, 2011

 Nabokov believe that a good reader is "someone that has imagination, memory, a dictionary and some artistic sense." (Good readers and Good writers, Vladimir Nabokov pg.  615) I would have to agree with Nabokov about what makes a good reader. The Basic requirement would be to have a memory, because if you didn't then what would be the point in reading the book in the first part. I never thought about a good reader having to have a dictionary but it make sense. So that if you come across a word that you don't know or understand its use in the book you can look it up and educate yourself. I think the most important things a reader should have is a good imagination because if you don't then you will have a very hard time enjoying or even getting through a book. The other important aspect a reader should have is artistic sense. If someone didn't have this it would be like looking at a painting of the greats painter and just seeing the paint and canvas it was put on. 

I beleive for someone to be a good reader they have to have the imagination and artistic sense like Nabokov believes but also have to be able to dive into the book but be able to come out of it when they need. It is like Nabokov said be able to enjoy the book but still remain aloof and have a scientific head about it. I would like to think I am a good reader. Other then having a dictionary I think I meet the qualifications the Nabokov listed in his writings. Here is also some more information on what makes a good reader.

Photo source at: http://www.slowtravelberlin.com/2011/01/03/nabokov-in-berlin/
 

1 comment:

  1. I like your analogy of the painting. It is so true that a reader without imagination wouldn't understand very many stories, and they definitely wouldn't be able to enjoy them either. I find it difficult to immerse myself in a book and still have the scientific outlook on it. It definitely takes practice!

    ReplyDelete